Thursday, November 5, 2009

In The Kitchen: Take Two.

Shortly after the idea for my new business venture was born, I found myself with an opportunity to start getting the word out about it. The whole 'project' was only a couple of weeks old, so I wasn't ready to go too public just yet, but a family gathering would be just perfect. My cousin, a mother of two, was throwing a princess themed birthday party for one of her daughters. Adoring her girls as I do, I thought that I would do something special for them. Customized cookies to make the birthday girl (and her sister) feel even more like little princesses.

So I took to the internet in search of some cookie cutters that might fit with the theme and was pleasantly surprised to have so many results turn up. Who knew?! I ended up getting a whole 'princess diva set' that included a diamond ring, glass slipper and more, as well as a separate crown-shaped cutter, and again, the ideas just took off from there.

Being so excited to do something special for my girls and share news about With Love Desserts for the first time outside of immediate family and a few of my closest friends, I dove into these cookies headfirst. And for my first attempt at something like these, I was pretty happy with how they turned out.


Yikes. What did I just get myself into??

Due to a shipping error, I had to make the 'magic wands' by hand. Not bad, huh?

Personalized Princess cookies.


Looking back on this project now, I completely underestimated just how much would go into these cookies! My only thoughts were 'bake' and 'decorate', resulting in frustration and my feeling overwhelmed. So a few words of advice for first timers especially?

PLAN AHEAD!!

Give yourself at least 3 days to complete a project like this one, allowing yourself room for error. The idea may seem simple enough, but you don't fully realize how tedious a process it is until you're already covered in flour and food coloring.

With love ,
the Mydnyte Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment